Monday, March 13, 2006

March Madness Baby!!!

I love March!!! Picking the men's college basketball champ before the tourney starts and then watching all the heartbreak and excitement that follows is simply awesome. As you can see I am a KU fan and as always I am pulling for the boys--Rock Chalk Jayhawk!! Each of the teams that are involved in the tourney have been working hard to get to this place in their lives. They practice day and night and have coaches that push them to be the absolute best that they can be. Each player works hard to hone their craft every one of them dreaming day in and day out about cutting down those hallowed nets. Dreams are a powerful thing. They can push us to be our best because most of us are willing to work hard so that our dreams can be realized. Whether they are dreams about our careers, families, possessions or whatnot they have the power to drive us to work harder than perhaps we would otherwise. I do not want to romanticize, trivialize or even over spiritualize this point because this post is primarily about my love of March madness but now that I think about it I can see a spiritually significant point here that needs to be made. **Side bar: For those of you who do not know, I write on the fly and really do not think much about it until my fingers hit the keys so there are times that I switch my thoughts in midpost--sidebar over** I pray that each of us has dreams for the world. I challenged my youth group leaders back in january to dream big dreams this year for the group I pastor. I told them to dream dreams that only God could accomplish and then to be willing to pray the prayer of commitment to be used by God to see them accomplished. Dreams are the substance of life because they are composed of one key component--HOPE. Each of these teams has hope that they will be able to play with inspired skill and be victorious in the end. It is this hope that drives them. We as christians also have a hope that drives us. It is the hope that this world has been redeemed through the atonement of Christ and that we can make a difference through the power of the Holy Spirit. In christ there is hope for this world. Have fun watching March madness beginning in 3 days. Take time to fill out your brackets and dream big dreams for your favorite team. Grace and Peace.

No comments: