Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Art of Blog


Since my last post two of my good friends have started blogs that I hope will become beneficial discussion for all who choose to enter in. The Shire and The Cosmopolis are the works of Jason and Che and I look forward to engaging in valuable conversation that could lead to intellectual, spiritual, and communal growth. Che brought up something interesting though that has gotten me to thinking about this act that I engage in on a weekly to semi-weekly basis. Is blogging a beneficial use of my time? Am I truly being a good steward of my time and resources by engaging in this practice that has become in some ways a lesson in articulating my own mind? Truthfully I do not know that I have a large readership of this blog but I do receive comments periodically about my musings and stories. I am not a professional writer by trade but it could be said that as a pastor who preaches weekly I am consistently writing to illicit a preferred response as I engage my listeners with the Gospel. It is not intentional coercion but I do always pray that as I prepare and write--as I work from a manuscript--that the way in which I articulate the message of the Kingdom is effective communication. This blog however is a sidebar for me. I do not regularly tell my parishioners about my site but occassionally it comes up. Therefore I cannot say that I am writing as an extension of my work. I do not solely right for the benefit of my family who lives many miles away. I cannot even say that I write as a means of some sort of higher calling to tell the world about my life. I suppose I write because I feel a desire to write. I enjoy the process of shaping a story and using words to paint a picture. Sometimes I feel that I craft something well and other times I feel I fall short. I enjoy using myself and those I love (my wife and sons) as the topics of my musings. They fill my life with so much to say that I could literally never tire of putting words to paper (or screen for that matter) as I relive each moment of my journey with them. Am I however, taking time that could be spent in other more worthwhile pursuits to fulfill some yearning of my own? I suppose I am. I am certain that there have been times that I have taken time that I should have been working more diligently on other projects to update this little site that possibly only a handful on individuals read. But I believe that there is more to the story than that. As I share my "common prayers", the everyday occurrences of my life with whomever would venture to read I feel that I am giving the grace that I have been blessed with to others who may wish to receive. The blessing that is my life is not full of all high points and immensely interesting plot twists but it is my blessing and I cherish and value it daily. Therefore I feel that I am periodically painting a little bit of the picture that is the grace that fills my life for anyone who longs to read. Therefore it is a bit of art. I am not going to romanticize my time spent in blogging but I believe that Che has a good point. Our time should be spent in endeavors that enhance our ability to spread the news of the Kingdom of God. Everything we do should be an extension of who we are in Christ and an opportunity to share that valued experience. This is more so the reason that I named my blog common prayers. I always want my daily life to be a prayer breathed to God in thanks for his grace poured out on my life. Thank you Che for making me think more critically about my time and the use of it. God bless.

5 comments:

Jason said...

Thanks for the pub John. I hope in the future there will be a constant interaction among a number of us using the medium of blog. Common prayers was part of my inspiration to create a blog of my own. See you in The Shire

Evan and Julia Abla said...

In part, we write because it helps us fully understand what we think and we think because it helps us fully articulate what we write. So, it goes, or perhaps should go, for communication in general. Let us not let the signified and the signifier stray to far in hopes that they may be one.

Mr. Haselwood said...

Good thoughts! Each of us must judge against ourselves, those around us, and our context as to the how we guard our time. It is far too easy to let moments squeeze through to the bottom of the hour glass. Sharing thoughts and insights is as valuable as we allow it (and them) to become. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

JOHN!!!

~Cassie Greenfield

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Johh!