Friday, July 07, 2006

I.D. Please


Today I had a revelation of sorts. This is not the type of revelation that will rock the world or send future generations of reeling in terror with apocalyptic visions. No, this is just me coming to a harsh reality today that has caused me to wonder who I am now. I attended a funeral this morning. Although the service was not well done it was a joyful occasion for the family due the faith of the deceased. I paid my respects to the family and proceeded to walk to my car. Just as I reached the car I saw a line of children rounding the corner and I recognized several of them as being kids from my son's daycare. The older kids get to go on a hike each day and go to the grade school nearby and take part in the summer lunch program. So I stood and watched them walk by smiles wide and eyes full of happiness. Even their leader, Ms. Mia, was happy and smiling--not a fake "I wish I were home in bed" smile either. Suddenly one of the front kids spots me and with a wide toothy grin and voice cranked up to it's highest setting kind of call he yells out, "Hey it's Joshua's dad!" Suddenly there was a chorus of kids yelling wildly at me, "Hi Joshua's dad...Hi Joshua's Dad!" I waved back politely and said hi to them as well and slinked into my car uncertain about the chaos and confusion that circling in my head. My only thought as I drove away towards my wife's office was, "I am no longer John, or Pastor John, or even Mr. Prichard...I am now Joshua's dad and THAT IS IT!" I had just gone through and full identity change in 5 seconds. Now when I go through the airport and they ask me for I.D. I will only have to point to Joshua and say, "I am Joshua's dad." I suppose I will have to go the Oklahoma tag agency and have my license changed from John Prichard to Joshua's dad. My wife has little sympathy for me. She says that she has been John's wife for years now and I am just understanding what she goes through. She is right, I am not feeling the ripples of life transition that incorporates my entire identity and leaves me feeling different and even a little in awe. I suppose it is not too unlike the day my identity became defined by Christ. It was a day of joy, confusion and awe. A day that brought about an entire change of direction for me and reshaped me into someone new. Today I am someone new. Allow me to introduce myself--I am Joshua's dad and I am now on a holding pattern until I become Benjamin's dad as well. Grace and Peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your stories, Joshua's dad, keep them coming!!

Anonymous said...

That is ok. In West Virginia on our mission trip we were known as John's kids. That may have been for other reasons, more mischeivious ones but the title stuck while there.

Scott Williams said...

I'm John's friend (At least I think so.) I'm also a pirate! Arrrggg!

Joyce Collins said...

What a great ID for you. I know what you mean when you discover a new identification about yourself. I remember when a friend of many years found out I am an MK. I was shocked he had not known that before. I struggled for 24 hours trying to figure, "Who am I if being an MK is not a part of my identification?"
The weird thing is ...I was not an adolescent or teen when this happened....I was already a Mom of three wonderful boys!