Sunday, November 12, 2006

New Kid in Town

I feel a need to once again apologize to anyone who has been waiting with baited breath to see what I will write next. I have been a bit out of the loop lately. We have just completed our second week in a new locale with new faces, a new job, and a new church to get used to. I am the new Lead Pastor of the Butler Church of the Nazarene in Butler, Mo. The transition has been a bit tougher than I anticipated. I find myself still thinking like a youth pastor. Now before my fellow youth pastors chastise me for this remark let me explain what I mean. Residing now as the Lead Pastor of a congregation means that I am responsible for a congregation as a whole. They are all my flock and I am learning to love them. However, I catch myself watching the teens and wanting to join in all the time. The teen group here in Butler is considerably smaller than the one that I am used to leading. They are young and can be a bit immature at times but I am also getting to know and love them. I find myself thinking more of how to deal with the children and youth than I do the church as a whole. I am sure that this will improve with time but for now I am on the learning curve. My wife and kids are doing well. The boys have adjusted to the move and seem to be getting settled in. Brenda seems to enjoy herself here but she needs to get out of the house. She is not used to staying home with the boys and she enjoys working also. I pray that we can find a way to secure childcare and help her find her fulfillment in a job. All in all God has blessed us and we are enjoying our new home. I will write more later but I just needed to update. Grace and peace.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very excited that you are back in Missouri. Now there is more of a chance of us getting to see each other. I would say I would come see you, but I still can't drive. March 9th is the six month anniversary of my seizure, I don't really think I should use the word anniversary but I couldn't think of what else to call it. Tell Brenda I say hello! I miss you both.

Scott Williams said...

That's great that you've made the move ok. As a Youth Pastor, I mean ex-youth pastor. I guess I would encourage you to treat the church as you would the youth group. Remember how you challenged them, how you engaged them and got them out of their comfort zones through mission projects etc. We, as adults, need that as much or more. I'm praying for ya!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your closer now than you were a month ago, but I'm the one who moved away from you guys first. We've missed your blogging, but we're glad you're home now!

John said...

Hey Angie...I am glad that you are doing well. We will make it up to see you soon. I pray God's continued grace on you and your recovery.
Hey Scott...I am not so sure that I should treat them like a youth group in all ways. Perhaps the gross games might not go over well. I do understand what you mean. I have been working on that.
Hey Evan and Julia...You began this exodus this is true. However I am not so sure that even in our closer state that you will come and see me (that is a challenge).

Beauty from Ashes said...

welcome back to the true midwest, i'm so excited to have you guys back here.......can't wait to make the big 45 minute trip down to Butler........

Scott Williams said...

Couldn't ya just see Sister so in so sucking down a can of sardines then wheeling herself back to touch the next person in line. Or a whole church game of ultimate frisbee. Catch it Elmer! We can only dream....

Anonymous said...

Hey John,
I'm glad you all made the move ok, but knowing your family I think they can adapt to anything. On the church, don't worry about it. After thinking about everything I have realized that yea your knowledge on the bible and on how to relate it to people is just astonishing, but that is not what made you get your point across to old or young. Your greatest asset is your ability to show everyone your heart and where it truly is. I dont care what age they are, they will want what you have and will come to you for guidence and I know you are more then ready for that day or night. God bless

John said...

Thank you anonymous...I appreciate the affirmation and belief in me.

Joyce Collins said...

We were in Butler today! It was a day given to Gary's mother so we did not get to see you. We did located your church however, and drove around in the parking lot. I kept saying to Gary, "Oh, why didn't you take down the parsonage address? We could just stop and say hi, and give them a big hug!" I look forward to seeing you!
Evan and Julia, I didn't know you moved!!!!!!! I went to your site and see Dayton, Ohio as your address. What church are you at? My Mother grew up in Dayton First.