Wednesday, June 28, 2006

When life throws you Poo...



My family and I are in Charleston, West Virginia visiting my folks. I have to say that I am enjoying a much needed rest for the time. It is amazing how much you forget when you are gone for awhile though. I have not been home for 2 or 3 years. Yesterday my dad and I were out driving around and he had to tell me several turns to make to reach out destination. I am going to have to go out and explore a bit this week to get my bearings again. Our travel was remarkably good except for one minor mishap with my our infant Benjamin. There are two legs to our flight from Oklahoma City to Charleston. The first is from OKC to Houston (duration 58 mins) and then from Houston to Charleston (duration 3 hours). If there were ever a time to not have a problem it was on the 3 hour flight. However upon take off out of Houston my son began to have some gas issues. No problem though cause no one blames a baby when they have gas right? Well this gas was accompanied by some brown, grainy liquid which proceeded to flow freely from the leg of his diaper (I need to have a talk with the good people at White Cloud about their product) and into my lap. That's right, my son took a rather sizable dump on my lap at the beginning of a 3 hour flight. I immediately held him up in the air asking Brenda for help--rather frantically I might add. After having sat there stunned for just a few seconds (and honestly I do not blame her) she reached for the wet wipes and began to clean up the baby forgetting that I had a pool of fecal matter soaking into my shorts more and more with every second. Needless to say we got the baby cleaned up but I was a different matter. I am certain that I was the most offensive passenger on the flight and caused an overall air of displeasure with all those who were forced to sit near me. Benjamin then proceeded to fall asleep on me after calming down and slept for the remaining 90 minutes of the flight. Honestly I could not be too upset with him. Afterall, the majority of trip he had done outstanding and who among would not have wanted to get that out of them as well? I arrived in WV, tired, smelly and quite honestly glad to be home. I mmediately handed the baby to one of my parents and dreamed of the shower that I would soon be taking to relieve myself of the hideous smell that had now permeated the very pores of my body.

Inspite of it all I love my children desperately. Family is a cherished thing that we easily take for granted. Perhaps a little poo in the lap reminds us that even we are forced to take the not so pleasant moments of life as well as the fantastic ones. I gladly take them all and thank God for the grace that they pour (literally) into my life. My common prayer for today is that we each take time to cherish those whom we love most and willingly live in the fulness of life that we participate in together with gladness and joy. Grace and Peace

7 comments:

Evan and Julia Abla said...

Poo, poo everywhere and all the boards did shrink,
Poo, poo everywhere nor any drop to drink?

Scott Williams said...

That's beautiful! Thanks for the laugh.

Anonymous said...

I think I would've cried.

Anonymous said...

i am the anonymous crier...not sure what happened.

Anonymous said...

That is a great story...and you must tell Big John and Drema hello for me and Brenda!!

Anonymous said...

That is a great story...and you must tell Big John and Drema hello for me and Brenda!!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh the joys of parenting. Can I swap gross stories woth you? Katie (now 16 months old) woke up one morning covered in throw up. it was all over her pajamas, all over her crib and bedding and even on some stuffed animals that had to be thrown away, yet there she was standing in her crib, greeting me with her usual smile. I really think the barf smelled worse than any poo we've had yet.